Sunday, March 18, 2007

New acquisitions

Hubby and I went to Halifax this weekend, so I dragged him to Tangled Skeins in Dartmouth to pick up some new lovelies for my stash.

Two of the last six skeins of sweet georgia superwash sock yarn came home with me (saffron colourway). This yarn is destined to become the oh-so-famous Pomatomus socks from Knitty.


And I picked up three skeins of Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in provincial rose to make this preppy shirt from a new-to-me book I found at a second-hand bookshop. The green yarn is what I have leftover from knitting the Rusted Root sweater.


While visiting Tangled Skeins, I learned that Steph (who works there on weekends) knows my Dad! This was really bizarre because my Dad has no connection to knitting whatsoever. Turns out her weekday job is working for the head office of the same pharmacy chain that my Dad works for. Small world.

I also have to report that I've retired an object that has been a staple for both my Mum and I for years. My Mum bought these chocolate brown shoes about 35 years ago when she was a single gal living in Montreal. She wore them nearly every day for years, walking to and from work. The shoes went out of commission for a little while and then I dug them out from the depths of her closet when I was in university and I've been wearing them constantly since about 2002. They are the most comfortable high heeled shoes I've ever slipped on my feet and that's why they've stuck around so long . . . until now.


This weekend, I bought a new pair of chocolate brown shoes. I've been looking for some like the old ones, but could never quite find what I was looking for. Since I have a small heel, I need a strap to keep my heel from slipping and I wanted shoes with a timeless design (so, in theory, they would still look fashionable 35 years from now). I found exactly what I was looking for and snapped 'em up right away.


Of course, they're not exactly like our 35-year-old friend, but they do have a strap and a timeless look. They're also cute as heck with that light pink stitching on the straps. I'll be sad to see the old shoes go, but it's time for a new pair to replace the old pair's coveted spot on my shoe rack. Then again, the old shoes might not be going anywhere . . . my Mum talked about having them bronzed this morning!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ingrid! It was lovely to meet you and your hubby at the shop on Saturday.

    I popped by your blog this morning and the moment I saw the photo with the yarn and the candies, I thought - hey, that looks like a Yarnstorm-esque photo. And sure enough, you've got her linked.

    Please, be sure to let us know when you're coming to town again. The KOL group loves visiting knitters. And we promise to keep things tame... ish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweeeeeet georgiaaaaaaa that yarn is lovely and will look great with pomatomus. I've got a new found thing for yellow lately (seen brooklyn tweed's yellow malabrigo yarn "cake"?)

    Nice shoes. Loved the story about the old ones. I vote for the bronzing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looooooove the new yellow yarn...and the old brown shoes (the news ones are cute too, but i have a thing for well loved items...)
    p.s. you won a little sumthin' sumthin....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!