Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The newt will not be short on handknits

The parade of baby knits continues chez words starting with "p." In a fit of nesting, I've been churning out the handknits at a steady clip.

First up, the cardigan that every baby born to a knitting mama is required to have: the BSJ.
BSJ
Pattern: Baby Surprise Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmermann
Source: The Opinionated Knitter
Materials: less than one skein of Fleece Artist Trail Socks
Needles: US 4/3.5mm
Started: August 5, 2009
Finished: August 12, 2009
Raveled here

No mods. Brilliant design. What more can I say?

I had some yarn left over, so I knit some booties (which I've somehow neglected to photograph) and an elf hat.
Stella Pixie Hat
Pattern: Stella Pixie Hat by Kristen Rengren
Source: Vintage Baby Knits
Materials: bits of Fleece Artist Trail Socks and Koigu KPM
Needles: US 4/3.5mm and US 3/3.25 mm
Started: August 24, 2009
Finished: August 29, 2009
Raveled here

The only problem is that the newt will never be able to wear the matching set at the same time . . . unless he/she has a really, really humongous head and a wee little body. I realize babies have big heads, but I hope (for my own sake) that the newt has a normal-sized cranium.

Since I'm having a winter baby, a woolly hooded sleeping bag would be nice, no?
yip011 - Thank you Gramie!
Pattern: Hooded Carrying Bag by Debbie Bliss
Source: Essential Baby
Materials: a little more than 4 skeins of Wool Gatto by Lana Gatto in Brick
Needles: US 7/4.5 mm
Started: June 30, 2009
Finished: September 7, 2009
Raveled here

I finished knitting this long before September 7, but it languished in the knitting basket for a while whilst I contemplated sewing in a zipper. I knew I wouldn't be able to do it on the sewing machine because garter stitch is so stretchy and my sewing machine is a little too "basic," and my hand sewing skills leave a little to be desired. My Gramie, however, is a very talented and well-rounded crafter. I figured she might even want to put a zipper in the bunting since it's for her first great-grandchild. She happily took on the project until she, ahem, realized that it was probably the most frustrating sewing task she's even undertaken. I'm so sorry, Gramie! But I'm really glad I didn't try to do it because she did a flawless job. The newt thanks you.

Jesse and I were at The Loop a few weeks ago and, while ogling some yarn, I asked, "Will our baby need a handknit blanket?" He said, "Of course." I bought some delicious, squishy merino. I have the best husband ever.
yip012 - knitting in bed
I have about seven rows left on the blanket and then I have to figure out where I'm going to block the darn thing. Oh Annie. Why did you have to move away and leave me without a decent blocking space?