Tuesday, September 18, 2007

FO: Summer Shawlette

The illustrious Kenneth dropped by this evening to take some photos of the secret FO that I've been waiting to blog about. Believe it or not, (no, believe it) I have finished knitting my first Christmas present of the season. I've always been a gal who likes to be organized and ahead-of-the-game, but never before have I had Christmas presents ready this far in advance. It's safe to write about this FO because it's for my Gramie, who doesn't know what the "Internet" is and, even if she did, she wouldn't be interested in it. However, if you happen to see my Gramie, please do me a favour and don't let the cat out of the bag.


Pattern: Summer Shawlette by Sandi Wiseheart
Source: Interweave
Materials: nearly two skeins of Misti Alpaca worsted (colour #972)
Needles: US 10.5/6.5 mm bamboo circular needle
Started: August 31, 2007
Finished: September 9, 2007

After I saw this finished Summer Shawlette, I went ahead and started knitting it right away. I used bigger needles and different yarn because I wanted to make it a bit bigger than the pattern calls for. After a few bumps and hitches (could the beginning of the pattern be any more confusing?) I completed what I think is a lovely shawl for my pink-loving Gramie.


I only had one full skein of yarn to work with and I secretly knew it wouldn't be enough, but I told myself one skein would do. When I got a little bit more than halfway through and ran out of yarn, I regretfully frogged these mittens. I liked those mittens, but I had to sacrifice them for Gramie (she's very special). When I used up all the mitten yarn, I went back to my bag of winter knits and frogged this hat. Again, it was a good hat, but Gramie's just that special.



So, now I'm in need of some new mittens and a hat. Don't tell anyone, but the thought of needing to knit myself a hat and mitts is sort of thrilling.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, the shawlette is just sooo cute! What a lovely granddaughter you are for giving up your fav hat and mitts. But I totally understand that an excuse to knit new ones is a strong motivator, and grammies are always worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's gorgeous! Great work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute hat to be frogged!
    It was worth it though. Anything for a Grandma. The shawlette is very nice, I love the back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is gorgeous! Although it is very sad to see the hat and mittens go, I see how it is worth it for your gram. She will love that shawl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shawlette is beautiful. Your gramie is one lucky lady. And, GOOD for you for finishing it so early.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!